By Benjamin Chiou
Date: Friday 24 Aug 2012
Up to 800 jobs are on the line at Aviva as the insurance giant restructures in an attempt to save 400m pounds.
The group, which sent an internal e-mail around to its UK life insurance workforce on Thursday, said that around 70% would still keep their jobs, while the remaining 30% could be at risk.
The life business employs 3,000 out of Aviva's 18,500 staff across Britain.
"We've previously outlined plans to simplify our business and make it more efficient and agile.
"The vast majority of our employees will be placed into roles with little change. Up to 800 roles could be at risk, although in practice it will be fewer than that. There will also be some new roles in growth areas.
"We recognise this is a difficult time for employees and will do everything we can to support them as we continue with our consultation process."
Labour union Unite has spoken out against the "silent jobs cull" at Aviva, saying that what started out as an initiative to cut bureaucracy and duplication at senior and middle-management levels "has quietly turned into a major job cuts programme across the Aviva workforce."
David Fleming, the Unite national officer, said: “It is absolutely appalling that Aviva has consistently failed to disclose the total number of jobs being cut. It is time for the company to come clean on the numbers.
"Our members face being asked to pay the price of boardroom failure and Unite is dismayed that what started out as a shareholders' revolt on executive pay will result in a jobs cull. This is totally unacceptable."
or share it with one of these popular networks:
You are here: news